Dubai Public Art & Art Jameel
- 12:00-12: 00 AM Wednesday
- Registration Required
As part of the Dubai Public Art initiative, Dubai Culture and Arts Authority is cooperating with a group of cultural institutions in the emirate, with the aim of benefiting from their expertise in promoting a culture of creativity and entrepreneurship, in support of Dubai's creative economy. In this context, Dubai Culture seeks to enrich the art scene through new cultural experiences that reflect visual culture and the spirit of innovation, and contribute to empowering artists and talent in the region.
This open call represents a new opportunity for art practitioners to implement an art installation in Jaddaf Waterfront Sculpture Park at Jameel Arts Centre, which will be revealed in Fall 2023.
The new Jaddaf Playscape Commission Programme activates the Jaddaf Waterfront Sculpture Park by creating a new space for creative enjoyment, imagination and play for all ages. The commission is a major opportunity for Emirati and UAE-based artists, designers, architects and collectives to propose and create a monumental, interactive and playful public artwork, for an initial intended duration of around four years. The commission, devised and curated by Art Jameel, is part of Dubai Culture’s new Dubai Public Art initiative.
The Jaddaf Playscape Commission includes a three-part process:
· Open Call: UAE-based practitioners submit proposals via an Open Call process, which are considered by an eminent jury;
· Phase 1: the jury shortlists (around 3) proposals; those applicants are then invited to detail their ideas
· Phase 2: these enhanced, detailed proposals are then re-presented to the jury, and a single commission is selected for production.
Art Jameel invites emerging and established artists, designers, architects and multidisciplinary collectives to submit proposals that imagine a playpark-as-artwork in the Jaddaf Waterfront Sculpture Park. Located in a pedestrian area by the Jameel Arts Centre building, Al Jaddaf Playscape Commission will have a prominent presence, visible to visitors as they access the arts centre, as well as interact with the community of Jaddaf Waterfront residents and visitors.
Shortlisted applicants will receive a financial grant of AED 5,000 to cover the costs of preparing the detailed proposal and the initial maquette for the work, while the winner will receive an additional financial grant of AED 35,000, and a production budget will be attached to the project.
● This is an open call for all artists, designers, architects and practitioners residing in the UAE.
● The jury includes local and international art professionals, as well as architects and curators, with experience in commissioning and producing interactive works for the public realm.
· The commission is open to all UAE-based artists, designers, architects and other practitioners.
· The Jaddaf Playscape Commission is suited to interdisciplinary collaborations, and collectives are particularly encouraged to apply. Applicants must possess a UAE Trade or Freelancer license, or equivalent.
· Those applicants shortlisted by the jury in phase 1 will be notified by mid-April 2023 and be required to present a more detailed proposal by May 31, 2023. The selected practitioner(s) will be notified in mid-June 2023. Practitioners are expected to attend a number of site visits in Dubai between April and November 2023 in preparation for the reveal of the commission in Fall 2023.
FURTHER INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS:
· Art Jameel encourages applicants to consider the site-specific nature of the Jaddaf Playscape Commission, both at Jaddaf Waterfront Sculpture Park and within the UAE at large;
· Proposals in all media are welcome but are required to include elements amenable to play for all ages;
· The jury is particularly interested in novel, bold and original proposals that are sensitive and thoughtful to site and context;
· Applicants are advised to consider the technical and health and safety requirements of a public work of this nature and of the park itself (detailed below);
· The proposal must preserve and accommodate three existing palm trees and their planters (refer to the detailed plan);
· Art Jameel is working towards achieving more sustainable exhibition and commissioning practices; we appreciate any considerations taken by applicants towards managing the carbon footprint of their work and its installation.
Tip: Please include as much information and detail as you can, while bearing in mind that Art Jameel’s curatorial and production teams will work with you to develop and adapt your concept for the context, and to build and refine a detailed production budget and timeline.
PHASE 2 PROCESS:
Applicants shortlisted in Phase 1 and invited to submit a detailed proposal (phase 2) will receive a development fee of AED 5,000.
The awarded practitioner(s) will receive an additional fee of AED 35,000 and a production budget will be attached to the project (co- or wholly-managed by Art Jameel, according to the nature of the selected project and the practitioner’s practice/working method).
USEFUL INFORMATION AND CONSIDERATIONS:
Materials: Please bear in mind that the work is expected to remain outdoors, in the elements, for at least 4 years, and to be used and touched, including by young children.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS (OPEN CALL, PHASE 1):
· Concept statement (200-500 words)
· Up to four sketches and diagrams
· Practitioner's portfolio and/or CV
· Estimated budget, proposed materials and production schedule
The requirements for shortlisted applicants will be detailed during Phase 2.
For more information on the application process and requirements
Detailed plan and dimensions of the area allocated
Arts and Culture
Al Jalila Cultural Centre for Children spring camp: Art and creativity activities
- 09:00 AM - 12:30 PM
Arts and Culture
Dubai Culture launches an Open Call for participation in Dubai Calligraphy Biennale
- 02:52 PM - 02:52 PM
Engaging cultural experiences throughout the year at Etihad Museum
- 10:00 AM - 08:00 PM
Reading and Literature
Dubai Culture supports the Month of Reading with a series of innovative activities
- 04:52 PM - 04:52 PM
Copyright © 2014-2023 . All rights reserved.